kathy

Monday, June 29, 2009

I've always loved the process of baking bread. It is so satisfying. I like smelling the yeast and adding the honey. These days I'm using white whole wheat that I got at Bob's Red Mill. It makes a superior bread! I also sneak in some ground flax seed. Here's the recipe:

Whole Wheat Bread
2 pkgs. quick-rise yeast
3 cups warm water
6 Tablespoons oil
10 Tablespoons honey
7 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon gluten
3 teaspoons salt

Put the yeast in a mixing bowl to which you have added a half teaspoon of sugar, add the water and let proof. After this is bubbly, add the rest of the ingredients and knead til it holds together and cleans the sides of the bowl. Take it out of the bowl, spray the bowl with Pam, and return it to the bowl to rise. I cover it and put it in the oven that I've heated slightly and then turned off. Let it rise til doubled in size, and then punch it down and form into 2 loaves and rise again. Bake for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment